Kojic acid soap, when used properly, will give you the whitest and softest skin you’ve ever had! I’ve been using it for five years and it’s helped me remove blemishes, fade my old scars, and even out my uneven skin tone.
Here’s How You Should Use Kojic Acid Soap Properly
- Use warm water to open your pores before applying Kojic acid. You can also use steam using a professional face steamer or boil water and let the steam hit your face for 10-15 minutes. Don’t keep it too hot to avoid getting burns!
- Wash your face like you would with regular facial products. To ensure deep penetration, use the tips of your fingers and massage the product in a constant circular motion to cover both the face and neck. Don’t ever forget the neck! You don’t want to come out two-toned with a white face and a brown neck!
- Kojic acid is irritating so you should take time for your skin to get used to it. You can train your skin by exposing it to the product in increments. What I did was use it only once a day, and for only 30 seconds, in the first week. By week two, I was using it twice a day, but still only for 30 seconds. By week three, I used it like my old facial product for twice a day and I leave it for my skin to absorb the nutrients for 1-2 minutes.
- Use cold water to rinse your face. Opposite to the first instruction, cold water closes your pores to help it absorb what you have put in. Sometimes I also use an ice cube rub around my face for 1-2 minutes. It works two ways – to close my pores and refresh my skin!
- Dry your face thoroughly and apply an oil-free water-based moisturizer. Kojic soap tends to dry the skin and even cause some peeling, and the moisturizer protects the new skin from being too irritated and breaking out from the “stress” of peeling.
- Always wear sun block. Since your skin will be forming a healthier one, it will exposed and more prone to the damaging effects of UV light. It is best to wear a sun screen that has at least SPF 30. This will help ensure that your skin will remain healthy and radiant in the future!
Do’s and Don’ts When using Kojic Acid Soap
We all know the benefits of Kojic and how to use them. But when you’re using it in your daily regimen, never forget these very important tips:
- DO know the content of your soap product. Common regulations allow only 1-2% Kojic acid in soap at safe levels.
- DO use oil-free and water based moisturizers. This will help in protecting and hydrating the skin, without clogging your pores. Clogged pores can cause acne breakouts.
- DO be patient and wait for a few weeks to see the result. In the same way “Rome wasn’t built in a day”, your skin will need time to adjust to the product for it to take effect.
- DO continue using Kojic acid on a regular basis. Remember that its effects are reversible, so when you stop it, your skin will go back to its old color. At the very minimum, use it 2-3 times a week as maintenance.
- DO keep your Kojic acid in a closed dark container. It oxidizes quickly to air, heat, or light making the active ingredient ineffective.
- DON’T panic when you experience common side effects of redness, itchiness, tightness, breakout, dry skin and peeling. This is how the product generally works as it makes a whiter and smoother layer of skin. Although, when the symptoms are severe, it is best to stop the regimen and seek the opinion of your dermatologist.
- DON’T mix Kojic Acid with other skin lightening soap or products especially retinoids or chemical peelings. This will be too much for your skin to handle. If you must, seek the consult first of a dermatologist.
- DON’T stay too long under the sun, especially without sun screen. Your exposed skin is very sensitive and prone to the effects of UV which can cause wrinkles at old age or even skin cancer.
- DON’T put Kojic acid in sensitive parts of the body. It can generally be used throughout the body but avoid sensitive areas such as areolas, vaginal area, and any open wounds.